AB Mavi Kart
Work in Germany

Issue of an EU Blue Card for highly qualified foreign nationals to engage in an occupation befitting their qualifications.

The EU Blue Card is issued for a period of four years if the employment contract is permanent or, in the case of a temporary employment contract, lasts for at least four years. In the case of shorter employment contracts, the EU Blue Card is issued for the duration of the employment plus three months.

For the first two years of employment, approval from the Foreigners’ Registration Office must be obtained before any change of job.                 


  • Possession of a qualification from a German Hochschule, an accredited foreign university or university college qualification, or a foreign university or university college qualification comparable to a German Hochschule qualification                                                                   
    It is possible to submit a query to the online database of the Central Office for Foreign Education Affairs (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen, ZAB) to determine if the foreign university or university college qualification is recognised in Germany (see under 'More information').

    If the database does not contain any relevant information, applicants are required to apply to the ZAB to have their qualification specifically evaluated against payment of a fee and to present their qualification certificate to the ZAB (see under 'More information').
  • Qualified employment with a minimum gross salary of EUR 52,000 per annum or, in shortage occupations, a gross salary of EUR 40,560 per annum

         Annual gross income of at least EUR 52,000 (or gross income of EUR 4,333 each month) must be earned from the qualified


        In certain shortage occupations, annual gross income of EUR 40,560 (or gross income EUR 3,380 each month) is sufficient.

       These professions at present are: Scientists in natural science disciplines, mathematicians, architects, interior, urban and traffic planners,designers, engineers, scientific engineers, physicians (except dentists) and those with academic qualifications in information and communications technology.


  • Approval of the German Federal Employment Agency

        When engaging in employment

  • with an annual gross income of at least EUR 52,000 (or gross income of EUR 4,333 monthly) or,
  • in shortage occupations, an annual gross income of EUR 40,560 (or gross income of EUR 3,380 monthly), and when in possession of

        a German university or university college qualification,

        However, when

  • holding a foreign university or university college qualification and
  • engaging in employment in a shortage occupation,

  • Occupation practice permit                                                                

If a licence is required to practice a profession (e.g. physician, engineer), evidence of this licence or evidence that the licence will be issued must be presented before the EU Blue Card can be issued.                               

  • Main residence in Berlin                                                               
  • A personal interview is required                                                                

 The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.                                

Documents required

Valid passport                                

         35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light       


  • University or university college qualification                                                                                                                                     

         Original and copy; together with evaluation / statement of the ZAB if applicable (see 'Prerequisites')                                 

  • employment or concrete job offer

        Original and copy                               

  • The form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)                                 

         A residence permit may only be issued upon formal request. Only required for first-time application.                                 

  • The form "Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung" (completed)                                                                                                                                     

         Only when approval is required from the German Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit)                                 

  • The form "Stellenbeschreibung" (filled in by the employer)                                                                                                                                     

         Only when approval is required from the German Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit)                              

  • Occupation practice permit                                

         Only if required (see 'Prerequisites'                               

  • Health insurance

         Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently  insured.

        Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the

         leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".  


  • Proof of main residence in Berlin                                
  • Certificate of registration at the main residence or
  •  lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord



        From 01.09.2017 the fee is for:

  • the initial issuance: 100.00 euros
  • an extension of up to three months: 96.00 euros
  • an extension of more than three months: 93.00 euros
  • Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros

Legal basis

Average time to process request

Since the EU Blue Card is generally issued as an electronic residence permit, it is recommended that the interview takes place approx. 6-8 weeks before your visa or previous residence permit expires.                                                                                            

More information

Responsible authorities

Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten

Ausländerbehörde Berlin, zum Business Immigration Service (BIS)

Foreigners Office (Ausländerbehörde) Berlin, location Keplerstr.

Make an appointment


Download page as PDF